When buying a new camera, I always like to pick up a few accessories to help keep the camera protected. Usually, this includes a screen protector and some sort of grip or half case.
When I bought the Sony A7r, I never purchased a case and after about six months I ended up regretting it. The camera took a lot of extra wear that I wasn’t really expecting. Mainly from using tripods.
Now after buying the Sony A7r II, I purchased a Gariz Half Case. The Alcantara model. And here is what I think.
Sony A7rII Gariz Alcantara Half Case – No Longer Available
Sony A7rII Gariz Black Half Case – No Longer Available
See Other Colors – No Longer Available
Gariz Half Case Alcantara With The Sony A7r II
This case fits the Sony A7II well. It has a metal base with a screw for a tripod and a hook for the Gariz leather camera straps. The case is well-made and only slightly heavier.
I like these cases on my other cameras. The Fujifilm X100T is my favorite. The case improves the grip on the Fujifilm XT1, but I do not enjoy it as much on the Sony A7rII. Here are some advantages and disadvantages.
Gariz Half Case Pros
- I really love the extra protection it adds to the camera. Especially the base. If you drop your camera, (which you will) it can provide you with one more layer of protection if the camera lands on the case (which it probably won’t.)
- It protects the bottom of your camera from being scratched by mounting and unmounting tripod plates over the years.
- It can add some extra grip and weight to the camera.
Gariz Half Case Cons
- Because of the sensor on the camera grip, the case can’t really go up far enough to provide you with a comfortable grip, making the camera a little awkward to hold.
- Adds extra weight to the camera. The Sony A7r II is already heavy.
- The Alcantara material I feel won’t be as durable as standard leather and it is likely to collect dirt faster. I also personally don’t like the feel of it, but that’s just me.
- The Black Alcantara case doesn’t really match the camera.
Should You Get The Gariz Half Case For The Sony A7r II?
It’s a tough call. I don’t really love the way it fits and it’s not making it more fun to grip like with my other cameras. Personally, I’m going to continue to use the Gariz half case for the sake of protection, but only because the Sony A7r II is primarily my landscape camera.
Sony A7r II Gariz Alcantara Half Case Review Conclusions
While I do really like these cases, I don’t love it on the Sony A7r II. The Sony A7rII is already a heavy camera and the case makes it even heavier. Pair it will the full-frame lens and you’ve got yourself a tank.
I also don’t love the Alcantara material and will be swapping it for black leather. I don’t really like that suede feeling in my hand and I feel the leather will be much more durable.
Gariz Alcantara Half Case Sample Images
These are all shot with the case on the Sony A7rII. Although the case also works with the Sony A7II.
Want to see more accessories for your Sony A7r II? Check out my Sony A7II and A7rII accessories page.
|**This website contains affiliate links. We will earn a small commission on purchases made through these links. Some of the links used in these articles will direct you to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.